Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wakizashi


The Colorado Trail was freaking EPIC!

The short version will follow, if you want the long version, you will have to ask. ; )

Started out at Marshall Pass and immediately hiked 18 miles. I was dying at the end. My body was fully capable of hiking it, but my pack was causing agony. Literally, agony. I was afraid I would have to call the trip. Day two just over 20 miles and far less pain. In fact, my pain receded from them on. The only thing that hurt after was my shoulders from tensing under the weight of the pack. On day 3 I met a thru-hiker who was stopping for some lunch. He and I chatted a bit and as he was trying to open a particularly stubborn bag of crackers, I pulled a knife out so fast he thought it was ninja-like. Seeing as Ninja would be an unimaginative trail name, he though Wakizashi more appropriate (Short sword carried be Samurai). From then on I was Wakizashi. Or more accurately, Waki, since nobody could pronounce Wakizashi... lol. I averaged just over 20 miles a day, I had two days that were just over 30 miles, one just under and a 0 day in Leadville. 10 days solo. After hitting Kenosha Pass, I hitched into Boulder with Andy and picked Dad up at the airport the next day. We headed up to Fort Collins and hiked outside of the Comanche Peak Wilderness and had a couple laid back days. Then headed back into Boulder and spend a couple days day hiking and hanging with Dad. Wonderful! Then back to work.

In other news, I have turned in an application to the Wilderness Medicine Institute to attend their Wilderness First Aid Instructor Training Course. WMI has recently partnered with REI to offer classes which also means a couple REI staff will be trained! Crossing my fingers, I have wanted to work for WMI for awhile now, it could be a bit of a dream come true.

I am working to finish my prerequisites for grad school and our class trip starts in less than 2 weeks. Holy moly I'm going to grad school...

No comments:

Post a Comment